Monday, March 2, 2009

The Gift of Super Heroes

The latest writing project I have is titled "Little Superhero" and it is supposed to be a story about how my little boy thinks he is a super hero. The funny thing is, I just found out about this project late last week, around the same time we found out that his health condition could be a little worse than just "Something he will grow out of.", as the doctor had originally told us.

So I got to thinking about so many angles for this story, and have yet to come up with one. Is he a super hero? Oh my! Have you ever met him? He is like the Super Hero of sweetness, kindness, intelligence and comedy rolled into one! When I say that everyone that meets him FALLS IN LOVE with him, that is not said from a mothers prideful standpoint, but is merely a fact that can be backed up by just about anyone!

As I thought about my story, I thought about how I must have just assumed that, having a boy and a girl, like my parents did, they would both naturally always be as healthy as my brother and I were. There didn't seem to be any genetic diseases in our family. There aren't any that we know of in my husbands family. He is one of nine children, and though two did pass away either as an infant, or as a young child, neither of those causes were disease related.

I look at my little super hero, and he is always smiling, always laughing. Yesterday, when he put his money in the plate at church, he was so proud of himself! He just looked at me with that big goofy grin that involves his eyebrows getting raised all up just like his Daddy's do. He understands everything, even things you think would be too young for his six year old little mind. Last night, we watched National Treasure as a family and he was able to follow the whole story.

But I say all of that to say, how I pray he isn't really sick. How I pray that Alport Syndrome is just something that HAPPENS to match what he has going on, but in reality, he will grow out of his symptoms. I know that my little super hero is a gift from God and that he is really God's child to begin with. I pray that God knows exactly how grateful I am for the joy that my little super hero brings us every minute we are with him!

No comments: