Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Faith in Dairy Queen

This past Saturday, after a rousing 36 -12 win by our little Raiders, Rich told Richy we could go anywhere he wanted to go after supper. Well, that is pretty much a running joke in our house, because we all know that after dinner, there is only one place to go...Dairy Queen!!! Or as this military family secretly refers to it...Delta Quebec (okay, we are officially goofy now).

When we got inside, I noticed this really large family all deciding what to order. They allowed us to go ahead of them since they were all trying to decide what to get. That was my first signal that there was something different about this family. There were so many children, that four of them were already sitting down waiting patiently at the table, while three of them stood in line with their parents to place the order.

We purchased our ice cream and went and sat at our table. People watching is one of my favorite past times. Sometimes I think I could write a story about every person I meet in any given day. But as I watched this family, I was struck by how well behaved all of these kids were. They ranged in age from about two through 13 I would say. The oldest, a boy, was actually in line, giving his dad a hug. I thought to myself, "Now THERE is a secure child, willing, at that age to stand in the middle of a DQ and give his DAD a hug." It was a wonderful site to see.

Meanwhile, all the other children were taking up two tables, waiting patiently for their food to arrive. No one was arguing, no one was fighting, the older kids were playing with the two toddlers, keeping them occupied and calling them pet names like "Sissy". Half of the food was delivered. No one touched a bite.

It took some time for the rest of the food to be delivered. Still, no one in this quiet, loving, large family took a bite. Everyone smiled and chatted and just waited. As soon as the girl from DQ brought them the rest of their food, they all just looked at their parents and one of them spoke up...

"Who's night is it to pray tonight Dad?"

I thought I had seen it coming from a mile away. The love, the kindness, the smiles, the peacefulness that surrounded that family. I could tell they were grounded and it was with a warm heart that I left DQ knowing that family was grounded by faith.

I pray that my family can be like that family, even though there are only four of us. I pray that when we are at Delta Quebec or...well, actually that is about the only place we could be because we don't eat fast food so DQ is our one treat...well, anyway, when we are at where ever, I pray God's light can shine through us in that same manner. What a compliment to have strangers leave a restaurant and say to themselves, "Now THERE is a family of faith!".

1 comment:

Gatorchuckie said...

thanks for the inspiring share... makes me realize i need to do a better job with my own parenting!