Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Soldier's Wife

Only one man has asked me to marry him in my life...and it was NOT my husband! Bet you didn't see that coming! Rich and I just sort of evolved, and as we begin our 18th year together, it is easy to see how the marriage just happened. I did not need a big proposal from a mountain top (we were married on a mountain top if that counts!). Although he did hide a rather elegant engagement ring in a piece of chocolate cake at a restaurant in the South End of Boston one time. Of course, we were already married. If you know us, you know we do EVERYTHING backwards, and "by the book" is not a phrase we use too often (unless you are talking about the Bible, then we do at least TRY to be "by the book").

My thoughts were all over the board yesterday, but I noticed they kept coming back to Rich no matter what. It began with hearing someone talk about a proposal, which of course led me to the thought that began this blog. Then, I was reading about Jamey Johnson, who, in case you do not know, is the most fabulous country singer on the face of the earth. Rich was sweet enough to buy us tickets so we can go see him in a couple of weeks, not too much of a sacrifice for him, seeing as how he thinks the man is incredible as well, and Rich isn't even a huge country music fan like I am. I caught myself thinking, "How exciting it would be to be the wife of someone who could sing and travel like that." I did not mean an ounce of disrespect to my husband when I thought that, yet God quickly and clearly me showed me something.

He confirmed what I had always known deep down, but never really admitted to myself. Though Rich and I appear to be somewhat normal, everyday folks...bedtime for the kids...us following not long after...church on Sunday...dinner around the table EVERY night, no exceptions, kind of people, we are excitement freaks. Adrenaline freaks maybe, I am not sure. I guess I always thought it was just him (bungee jumping fool that he is), but yesterday, when I had that thought, it was as though God said, "You are married to a SOLDIER, you don't get any more exciting than that." And it is so true!

Should you hear in the near future that Rich is being deployed, (and I am not saying for sure that you will, I am just saying SHOULD you hear it), please don't ever feel bad for us. I know you have heard horror stories about deployments. People who are miserable left home alone with the kids. People who want to complain about their husbands, sons, boyfriends being taken away from them. I will let you in on a little secret. We are weird (okay, so that is no secret), and we like the whole process. It is exciting, it is honorable, it is what WE MAKE IT TO BE. I, for one, will NEVER complain about him being gone because it makes my heart swell with pride that he would sacrifice for the sake of this country. He actually does it for us, and so many people don't get that about soldiers. It is a fabulous roller coaster of an adventure for an excellent cause, and, when handled with just enough faith, it can be just that, not a horrible, bitter experience to spend 12 months complaining about. So God said to me, "Look how exciting your husbands job is!"

I know, I know, I know, as sure as I know Jesus himself, that I was just meant to be a military wife. There was a guy in junior high/high school that I was crazy about for years. Never would you have pictured him in the military, but apparently he has made it his career. The guy I mentioned in the beginning of this blog was an insurance appraiser. In all the time we were together, I never heard the word "military" come out of his mouth, yet he has served several tours of duty as a Marine. My husband did not re-enlist until he was 42 years old. He had never been in the military the entire time I had been with him. So, no matter who I had ended up with, I would have been a military wife, and I think it is beyond cool, it is EXCITING, fun, honorable, and it is what Rich and I make of it. We will make the best of it! So, if Afghanistan comes calling, don't feel bad for us. Be proud of Rich with me, know it takes a special kind of person to go fight in a war, and enjoy the ride with us instead!

No comments: